Nov. 9, 2011, Fairfax, VA—Americans for Limited Government President Bill Wilson today in a letter urged House Republicans to reject any tax increase deal that may come from the so-called congressional Supercommittee.
“The American people are deeply concerned that a gargantuan tax increase will be included in that proposal,” Wilson wrote.
He is encouraging members to sign a Republican Study Committee letter against more taxes so that “members of the Joint Select Committee understand that any tax increase will be dead on arrival in the House of Representatives.”
“We don’t have a problem that we tax too little, we have a problem that we spend too much,” Wilson wrote, noting that since 2007, spending has increased $1.043 trillion, but that revenues had only dropped $393 billion “[w]ith tax rates essentially the same,” accounting for an aggregate $1.436 trillion increase in the deficit since then.
“That means 72.6 percent of the problem is too much spending, and at least 72.6 percent of the solution must be dramatic spending reductions. The other 27.4 percent of the solution then must entail economic growth, job creation and encouraging investment here in America,” he wrote.
Letter to House Republicans, Americans for Limited Government President Bill Wilson, Nov. 7, 2011 atwww.getliberty.org/files/TaxIncreaseSuperCommitteeLetter 11-7-11.pdf.
Interview Availability: Please contact Rebekah Rast at (703) 383-0880 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an interview with ALG President Bill Wilson.